Kwankwaso Reacts To Crack On Abubakar Audu Underpass Constructed By His Administration

Crack Gadon-Kaya-Underpass

The immediate past governor of Kano state, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso says his administration did not handle  part of the Abubakar Audu Underpass on BUK road by Gadon Gaya that is cracking and almost giving way as the road diversion was out of the contract

This was contained in a statement forwarded to Solacebase on Friday by the Spokesman to Abba Kabiru Yusuf, Former Commissioner,  Works, Housing and Transport, 2012-2015 and the PDP Governorship Candidate, Kano State 2019, Sanusi Bature Dawakin-Tofa.

Kano Today”, an online newspaper had reported the crack after a heavy downpour in the metropolis on Sunday evening.

The statement said the road diversion that includes the subproject that connects Gadon Kaya to Yahaya Gusau road, the side of Hauren Legal, the main U-turn to and from Kofar Gadon Kaya city gate and the  diversion coming from Hauren Shanu to Kofar Gadon Kaya was fully executed by Abdullahi Ganduje’s administration

It said there was no time the Kwankwaso’s government that undertakes the Underpass Bridge handle such sub-projects before the handover in May 2015.

It said the bridge was the first underpass in entire northern Nigeria with exception of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

The statement claimed that professionals in the construction industry knew that the subproject was handled improperly and with intention of manipulating space and budget to create conner shops for commercial purposes around the area, which is against the engineering standards for construction of megaprojects of such nature.

The statement read,’’ The general public may wish to recall that similar incidence of a major crack occurred last year 2018 on the many sides of the diversion roads at Kofar Ruwa Underpass constructed by the Ganduje’s administration.

“This is part of their many common mistakes due to the failure to hire reputable consultants, they work with quacks with a sole aim to siphon money from public coffers as the consultants  return a significant part of their fee after payment”

The statement noted that the money spent on the construction of Prince Abubakar Audu Underpass was far less than N700m not as claimed in the news article unless the present administration made a review on the already executed budget.

It, therefore, urged members of the media, civil society and the state assembly to inquire evidence to back this claim at the State Ministry of Works, Housing and Transport, as part of the responsibility on investigative journalism, budget tracking and oversight function respectively on the subcontract and the contract valuation.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.