The United Nations (UN) Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, has expressed concern over reported attacks on aid workers in Borno State.
A humanitarian organization, Action Against Hunger, in a statement on Friday, said that its worker had been killed in an attack by Boko Haram insurgents.
“One of the drivers was killed, while one Action Against Hunger staff member, two of the drivers and three health workers are missing,” the organization said.
But Mr. Kallon, in a statement by the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said the agency was concerned over the reported attacks on the aid workers.
He said: “I am deeply disturbed by reports of an incident involving aid workers from International NGOs in northern Borno.
“As details are still coming in and information has yet to be confirmed, the humanitarian community in Nigeria is concerned about the safety of the workers.
“The community is concerned about our ACF colleague, partners, and contractors involved in the attack against an aid convoy reported on July 18; on Gubio-Damasak Road.
“First and foremost, my thoughts are with them and their families. They devote their lives to helping vulnerable people and communities in an area heavily affected by violence.
“I call on all who may have the influence to do everything they can to keep them unharmed and work towards their safe return.”
Kallon urged the general public, including the media, to refrain from sharing any unconfirmed information, saying it might jeopardize their way back to safety.
- News2020.01.16Ex-INEC National Commissioner, Oniyangi Dies At 85
- News2019.12.25Dr. Ewelukwa Takes Over At NBET As Dr. Amobi Steps Aside
- News2019.12.22Minimum Wage: Kano Begins Payment In December, Agrees To Offset Consequential Salary Increment Arrears
- News2019.12.14Ganduje Names N1.9bn Flyover After Sheikh Qaribullah Sheikh Nasiru Kabara