The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has forwarded to Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) documents and list from some of the Ministry’s agencies providing some level of details regarding the names of contractors that allegedly collected money for electricity projects but failed to execute any projects.
The Minister invited SERAP to “inspect a compendium of verified and paid/outstanding liabilities of contractors, kept at the offices of the Nigeria Electricity Liability Management Limited/GTE.”
SERAP hinted this in a statement issued on Sunday by deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare.
The statement said the ministry’s letter with reference number FMP/LU/R2K/2016/T/40 and signed by the Permanent Secretary (Power) Louis O.N. Edozien, was sent to SERAP last week.
The letter indicates that: “Pow Technologies Limited, an Abuja based company, was in 2014 awarded a contract for the supply and installation of test and maintenance equipment relays, etc to various NAPTIN regional training centers (RTCs) (LOT15).
It said the total contract sum of N87,763,302.40, out of which N79,404,892.66 was paid to Pow Technologies Limited.”
The Ministry’s letter, reveals that although the contract was awarded in 2014, only 13 of the 19 items were supplied, with 6 items outstanding.
The details of the 6 items that Pow Technologies Limited has allegedly failed to supply are not provided by the Ministry but the letter indicates some of the action the Ministry said it has taken to ensure: “completion of the project, address criminal breach of contract and take remedial action.”
The Ministry said that while the contractors undertook to take remedial action, they have failed to complete the project for which funds have been released.
The Ministry pointed out that it submitted a petition to the Commissioner of Police, Abuja on 13th January 2016, and that the police instituted a case for the prosecution of Messrs Pow at the Upper Area Court.
The Ministry also said it has sought and received legal advice to pursue a civil action at the FCT High Court while a report of criminal breach of contract has been made to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
In the statement SERAP said, “We welcome Mr Fashola’s latest response and the information regarding Pow Technologies Limited. But we need details of names of other contractors that have collected public funds yet failed to execute power projects. We will continue to push the Ministry and its agencies to reveal more details of alleged corrupt contractors and companies, as contained in our FOI request.
We will continue to pursue our FOI suit at the Federal High Court, Lagos, before Justice Chuka Austine Obiozor, who has granted an order for leave in the case.”