2019 UTME: 390 Visually Impaired Candidates Participate In Four Centres Nationwide

By Fatai Abdullahi

About 390 visually impaired candidates are participating in the ongoing 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) organised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

The UTME for the visually impaired, which is taking place in four centres, started on Tuesday  and will be concluded on Wednesday, April 17.

The Chairman, Equal Opportunity Group of JAMB, Prof. Peter Okebukola, made the disclosure to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday at one of the venues of the examination at the University of Lagos.

He told NAN  that the candidates were sitting for the examination in Abuja, Enugu, Kano and Lagos centres.

NAN reports that the Equal Opportunity Group is made up of senior academics, including experts in special education and other relevant stakeholders.

Giving a breakdown of figures of the visually challenged candidates that were sitting for the examination in the four centres across the country, Okebukola said 57 wrote the examination at the Abuja centre.

He said that 59 others would write at Enugu, 135 at Kano and 139 others in Lagos.

He noted that the subjects the candidates were examined on during the two-day examination included Agricultural Education, Arabic, Biology, Chemistry, Christian Religious Knowledge, Civic Education and Commerce.

He said others include Economics, Geography, Government, Hausa, History, Igbo Language, Islamic Studies, Literature in English and Mathematics.

Okebukola added that Music, Physics, Use of English and Yoruba completed the number of subjects.

“The goal of the Prof. Is-shaq Oloyede-led JAMB is to ensure that no Nigerian who is eligible is prevented from taking the UTME regardless of any disability.

“The JAMB boss holds the firm view that we must have a level playing field for all candidates.

Read Also: Three arrested over UTME centre scam in Lagos

“As long as the candidate is intellectually capable and meets the minimum conditions for admission in the university of choice, he or she should have a good chance of placement into any university,” he told NAN.

The former National Universities Commission (NUC)’s Executive Secretary, added that this initiative by the board has been cited in the last two years in several countries as a good model for Africa.

“So far, a respectable number of blind candidates processed through the JAMB Equal Opportunity Group have secured admission into Federal, State and Private Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education,’’ he said.

He told NAN  that the candidates were still taking the examination through the dictation mode because the board was preparing and getting them familiarised with the mode of administering lectures in tertiary institutions.

“We know where these persons are going to and so, we also want to assist them by ensuring that they get exposed to what awaits them ahead.

“That being said, we have also been working towards migrating to their own kind of Computer Based Test (CBT) in a year or two.

“We are currently test running the software on this platform but I can assure you that in another year or two, we will fully migrate,” Okebukola told NAN.

Mrs Chioma Ohakwe, Proprietress, Bethesda Home for the Blind, Mushin in Lagos, said that the home presented of 25 candidates for this year’s examination.

She said she was optimistic that her candidates would post impressive performance as the home had placed the candidates under intensive teaching, monitoring and supervision.

“Infact, we had to hire eight new experts to handle and prepare these candidates.

“We have been preparing them for this examination in the past one year.

“We hired six professional teachers to coach them for this examination, one for just braille and another for computer, bringing the total of the new teachers to eight.

“So, it is my expectation that they will post a better performance compared to their colleagues who sat for the examination in 2018,” Ohakwe told NAN.

She pleaded with the board to fast track efforts in putting in place the CBT mode for the candidates, adding that they had complained of their inability to understand and get the words dictated clearly.

Also, she said the candidates had lamented that it did not give them enough time to think before answering the questions.

NAN reports that the 390 blind candidates are among the over 1.8 million candidates taking this year’s UTME which commenced on Thursday, April 11.

NAN

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

Kano PDP Guber Primary: Appeal Court Rules In Favour Of Abba Kabiru Yusuf

By Umar Isa Court of Appeal sitting in Kaduna on Thursday delivered judgment in favor of Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf, the PDP Governorship candidate in the recent 2019 elections against Alhaji Ibrahim Al’amin Little. In a unanimous judgment the Justices of the appeal court and read by the lead judge , Justice Tanko Hussaini  set aside the judgment of a Federal High Court in Kano and confirmed Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf as a bona fide gubernatorial candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for Kano State 2019. The court agreed with the prayers of the appellate (Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf) ...

JUST IN: Kwara Appoints New Etsu Of Patigi

By Yakubu Lawal Kwara state Gov. Abdulfatah Ahmed has approved the appointment of Umar Ibrahim Bologi as the new Etsu of Patigi in the Patigi local government area of Kwara. The appointment was contained in a letter signed by Alhaji Saidu Habeeb, the state Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy Affairs and Community Development and addressed to the new monarch. The letter read: “I am directed to inform Your Highness that His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed in exercise of the powers conferred on him by Section 3 and 5 of Chief (Appointment and Deposition) Law ...

Nigerian Railway Denies Report Of Train Killing Two Persons In Kano

By Fatai Abdullahi The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) on Thursday denied a report that a train crushed two people to death in Kano. Abdullahi Alhaji, the Public Relations Officer of the Zaria District of the corporation disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Zaria, Kaduna State. He claimed that some individuals brought out mutilated corpses and placed on the rail track to create impression of the purported accident. “On behalf of the Nigerian Railway Corporation management, Northern District, Zaria, I hereby call the attention of the general public, especially people of Nasarawa LGA of Kano State in respect of ...

JUST IN: Buhari Assents Minimum Wage Bill Of N30,000

By Yakubu Lawal President Muhammadu Buhari has signed into law the Minimum Wage Repeal and Re-Enactment Act, 2019. By this act, the new minimum wage is now N30,000. The President assented to the Act on Thursday in Abuja, mandating all employers of labour across the country to pay workers a minimum of N30,000 monthly wage. The National Assembly had submitted the minimum wage bill to the President since March 27. The bill approving N30,000 as the new national minimum wage was passed by both chambers of National Asaembly before they went on break for the 2019 general elections. Earlier in ...

BREAKING: Court Orders INEC To Withdraw Buhari’s Ex-Aide, Kawu Sumaila Cert. Of Return As Rep Member-Elect

By Bashir Inuwa A Federal High Court sitting in Kano on Thursday disqualify AbdulRahman Kawu Sumaila as the duly elected representative of Sumaila/Takai federal constituency of Kano at the National Assembly. Solacebase recalled that Shamsudeen Dambazau of the APC had sued INEC, APC and AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  challenging the recognition of AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  as the APC House of Representatives candidate for Sumaila/Takai federal constituency. The presiding judge , Justice Lewis Allagoa ordered INEC to withdraw the certificate of return issued AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  as he was not the duly elected house of representatives member for Sumaila/Takai federal constituency as ...

JUST IN: CCT Convicts Onnoghen, Bans Him From Holding Public Office For 10 Years

By Biola Adebayo The Code of Conduct Tribunal on Thursday convicted the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen of breach of Code of Conduct for Public Officers. The tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar, ordered the immediate removal of Onnoghen from office as the CJN, Chairman of the National Judicial Council and the Chairman of the Federal Judicial Service Commission. Delivering the lead judgment, the tribunal Chairman, Danladi Umar ordered the forfeiture of the five accounts which defendant failed to declare as part of his assets. The tribunal said the accused was tried as a public officer and not a ...

Powered by Dragonballsuper Youtube Download animeshow

%d bloggers like this: