Onnoghen’s Trial: Disagreement Breaks Out In Prosecution’s Camp

By Emma Peters

A disagreement broke out in the camp of the prosecution in the trial of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, as the proceedings resumed on Monday.

The disagreement started after the prosecution led by Mr. Aliyu Umar (SAN), and the defence led by Mr. Okon Efut (SAN), announced appearances for their teams.

As Umar informed the tribunal that he was ready for the business of the day which was the adoption of final addresses, a member of his team, Prof. Zainab Duke, attempted to speak to the bench.

With a paper in her hand, Duke tried to speak into the microphone but Umar grabbed the microphone and shouted on her to sit down.

“There cannot be two leading counsel. Sit down. You cannot speak,” Umar shouted.

Struggling to stand up after she sank to her seat in the middle of a struggle for the microphone with Umar,

Duke told the bench, “my lord I need your protection”.

Responding, the Chairman of the three-man bench, Danladi Umar, urged calm, and restated the lead prosecuting counsel’s point, saying, “only one counsel can speak for the team”.

“Whatever you have to say, inform the lead counsel,” the tribunal chairman said.

Defiant, Duke attempted to speak again, but she was cut short by the lead prosecuting counsel, who requested the tribunal to order that she be sent out of the courtroom.

When he realised, his request was not immediately granted, he requested that Duke’s name is struck out from the list of the prosecution’s team.

His request was granted by the tribunal and Duke walked out immediately it was ruled that her name had been removed from the prosecution’s list.

Speaking outside, the courtroom, she said she only wanted to draw the tribunal’s attention to the similarity between the Onnoghen’s trial and a case that took place in England many years ago.

NAN

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

Kano PDP Guber Primary: Appeal Court Rules In Favour Of Abba Kabiru Yusuf

By Umar Isa Court of Appeal sitting in Kaduna on Thursday delivered judgment in favor of Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf, the PDP Governorship candidate in the recent 2019 elections against Alhaji Ibrahim Al’amin Little. In a unanimous judgment the Justices of the appeal court and read by the lead judge , Justice Tanko Hussaini  set aside the judgment of a Federal High Court in Kano and confirmed Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf as a bona fide gubernatorial candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) for Kano State 2019. The court agreed with the prayers of the appellate (Engr. Abba Kabir Yusuf) ...

BREAKING: Court Orders INEC To Withdraw Buhari’s Ex-Aide, Kawu Sumaila Cert. Of Return As Rep Member-Elect

By Bashir Inuwa A Federal High Court sitting in Kano on Thursday disqualify AbdulRahman Kawu Sumaila as the duly elected representative of Sumaila/Takai federal constituency of Kano at the National Assembly. Solacebase recalled that Shamsudeen Dambazau of the APC had sued INEC, APC and AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  challenging the recognition of AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  as the APC House of Representatives candidate for Sumaila/Takai federal constituency. The presiding judge , Justice Lewis Allagoa ordered INEC to withdraw the certificate of return issued AbdulRahman Kawu  Sumaila  as he was not the duly elected house of representatives member for Sumaila/Takai federal constituency as ...

JUST IN: CCT Convicts Onnoghen, Bans Him From Holding Public Office For 10 Years

By Biola Adebayo The Code of Conduct Tribunal on Thursday convicted the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen of breach of Code of Conduct for Public Officers. The tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar, ordered the immediate removal of Onnoghen from office as the CJN, Chairman of the National Judicial Council and the Chairman of the Federal Judicial Service Commission. Delivering the lead judgment, the tribunal Chairman, Danladi Umar ordered the forfeiture of the five accounts which defendant failed to declare as part of his assets. The tribunal said the accused was tried as a public officer and not a ...

JUST IN: CCT Dismisses Onnoghen’s Suit Challenging Jurisdiction, Begins Judgment

The former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen, on Thursday lost his bid to stop the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) from trying him. The tribunal which is delivery judgement on the breach of the assets declaration allegation against Onnoghen held that it was competent to hear the case. The tribunal ruled that the prosecution of former Onnoghen was in order and that it was competent to hear the case. With the ruling, the Chairman of the Tribunal, Justice Danladi Umar, at noon started delivering the judgement of the tribunal. Details later …. NAN Related

Alleged N2.5bn Fraud: Court Shifts Arraignment Of NBC DG, Ishaq Kawu, Others To May 2

By Fatai Abdullahi Justice Folashade Ogunbanjo-Giwa of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Wednesday, adjourned the arraignment of the Director General of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Ishaq Modibbo Kawu to May 2. Others are Sir Lucky Omoluwa, Chairman of Pinnacle Communications Ltd, Dipo Onifade and Pinnacle Communications Ltd. They are facing trial over allegation of fraud in the digital switchover the project of the Federal Government. At a resumed sitting, Onifade was absent while Omoluwa and Modibbo were present in court. Counsel to Onifade, Alex Izinyon (SAN) told the court that the 2nd defendant had informed him ...

Judgment On Onnog‎hen’s Alleged False Asset Declaration At CCT Shifted From 9Am Till Noon

By Biola Adebayo The judgment of the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Justice Walter Onnoghen, who is being prosecuted on charges of assets declaration breaches, has been shifted from 9 am the originally scheduled time, till noon on Thursday. Onnoghen had arrived the premises of the tribunal at 8.40am ahead of the judgment. Only two of his lawyers and a handful of his aides were seated in the courtroom when a court official announced the postponement at 9 am. No member of the prosecution team was in court when the postponement was announced None of them arrived as of the ...

Powered by Dragonballsuper Youtube Download animeshow

%d bloggers like this: