BREAKING: CCT Adjourns Trial Of CJN

By Talatu Bala

The trial of the Chief Justice of Nigeria Justice Walter Onnoghen at the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Monday has been adjourned till Tuesday, January 22.

After the lead prosecuting counsel, Mr. Aliyu Umar (SAN), announced his appearance with four other lawyers as the tribunal asked the court official whether the CJN had been served with the charges and summons, in which the official answered in affirmative.

Also the defence counsel with 71 lawyers led by  Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN) has 48 SANs in the team

The lead prosecuting counsel, Mr. Aliyu Umar (SAN), accepted that  Justice Walter Onnoghen, was not properly served with the summons to appear before the Code of Conduct Tribunal in Abuja on Monday.

Aliyu Umar said that the CJN was not personally served with the charges and the court’s summons as required by the law.

The Counsel  therefore, requested the three-man tribunal led by Danladi Umar to direct a fresh service on the CJN.

When  an inquiry by the tribunal chairman about Onnoghen’s absence from court was made , the defence team,  said the CJN needed not to be present having filed a motion to challenge the tribunal’s jurisdiction.

Wole Olanipekun said he and other defence lawyers only appeared in court in protest against the jurisdiction of the tribunal.

Olanipekun said from the statement of the court official earlier in the proceedings, the CJN was not served with the charges and summons personally, but through his aide.

He insisted that the law requires that the defendant be personally served.