By Biola Adebayo
The Federal Government said arrangement has been completed to arraign the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen on charges of non-declaration before the Code of Conduct Tribunal in Abuja on Monday.
A statement signed by Head, Press & Public Relations, CCT headquarters Mr. Ibraheem Al-Hassan, confirmed the development in Abuja on Saturday.
The statement said the three-man panel of the tribunal led by Danladi Umar, fixed Monday for the arraignment of the CJN, following an application by the Code of Conduct Bureau for leave to commence the case.
It said the application was filed on Friday and summons for the Monday’s proceedings had been served on the CJN , Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen.
The statement said all the six counts preferred against the CJN are said to be bordering on non-declaration of assets.
According to the statement , “The Code of Conduct Tribunal has scheduled Monday, January 14, 2019 for the commencement of trial against current Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon Justce Onnoghen Nkanu Walter Samuel for alleged non-declaration of assets.
“This was consequent to an application filed by the Code of Conduct Bureau to the CCT Chairman yesterday (Friday) for the trial to commence against the Chief Justice of Nigeria on six charges.
“However, service of summons has been effected to the defendant.
It added that,“the application was filed on Monday by the operatives of CCB, dated January 11, 2019 and signed by Musa Ibrahim Usman (Esq) and Fatima Danjuma Ali (Esq), containing six charges all bordering on non-declaration of assets”