By Abdullateef Jos
The Federal Government and organised labour unions have finally reached an agreement on the transmission of an executive bill of a new Minimum Wage by the Federal Government to the National Assembly after three days of meetings.
The agreement on Tuesday came on a day that labour unions are staging protest rally all over the country over the transmission of the bill to National Assembly by the FG.
The Tuesday meeting lasted fewer hours with president of Trade Union Congress, Kaigama Bobboi, warning that if the Federal Government reneged on the date it promised to transmit the bill , labour would take action without any warning.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Nigige, who presided over the meeting said the federal government would send the bill to NASS on January 23, 2018, after members of the National Assembly must have resumed from their recess.
According to him “necessary meetings on the part of the FG would be held next week to ensure the timeline was met.
“As for the transmission of the executive bill to the National Assembly, the government will religiously implement all the processes that will enable us to transmit this bill within the stipulated time, said the minister.”
“We have a target time of January 23, 2018, and we hope that all things being equal, the government will be able to do so. We will take all statutory meetings of the Federal Executive Council, National Economic Council and the National Council of State meetings to enable us transmit the bill on the new national minimum wage. I thank the labour unions for their understanding and appeal to them that the threats should come down. Protests are no longer necessary.”
The NLC President , Ayuba Wabba, appreciated the minister, noting that workers had been patient with government for more than two years