The Victims of recent flood disaster in Rimin Gado Local Government Area of Kano State have said that they have not received any money from the N100m that was supposed to be paid to victims of the August flood that ravaged Kano metropolis.
The survivors cried out over alleged lack of support from the state and federal governments.
Some of the survivors told the News Agency of Nigeria in Rimin Gado that they were yet to receive any assistance from the two levels of government since flood ravaged their communities in August.
One of the victims, Malam Aminu Lawan, who lost a house to the flood, said there had been no support to him and other victims.
“We heard that Kano State Government has released the sum of N100m to support flood victims in the state, but up till now, no single Kabo has been given to us.
“The most disturbing issue is that the State Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation Agency compiled our names and the losses we suffered, but nothing has been forthcoming,” he said.
Another victim who simply gave his name as Mallam Bala, told NAN that the majority of the flood survivors that were worst hit in the area are currently squatting with relations and friends.
“A number of the flood victims in this area are either living with friends or relations because their houses have been destroyed by the flood, “ he said.
He, therefore, urged the government to ensure prompt release of the money it reportedly approved to support the flood victims, to alleviate their suffering.
However, when contacted, the Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation Agency, Ali Bashir, said the agency was making efforts to assist the survivors.
“We are making necessary preparations to assist the victims and as soon as we finish the preparations, we will tell you,” Bashir said.
Also commenting on the issue, the NEMA Head of Operations in Kano, Nura Abdullahi, said the agency has submitted its report to its headquarters in Abuja.
He assured that the agency would soon commence the distribution of relief materials to flood survivors in the affected areas.
NAN reports that the state government had, on September 17, confirmed the death of 31 people and destruction of 10,000 houses by flood in 15 local government areas of the state.
The government said it had approved the release of N100m as interim support to the flood survivors in the state.